Jun 27, 2010

The Scam

Brenden and I seemed to both have landed a summer job with a small business that rents out beach equipment (surf boards, rafts, umbrellas, etc.). After many hot days of driving down the main road in the Outer Banks, stopping in, filling out applications, talking to people and them saying they aren't hiring ..we finally might have found something.

While we have been going to places in person we have also been responding to listings on Craig's List in the OBX area. At the beginning of the week I responded to a nanny job which really excited me. I would be keeping a little boy, 3 years old, from 1-4 in the afternoons getting paid $100 a day. Who could resist that? After corresponding with his "father" in "Scotland" on a "business trip" and deciding when to start babysitting his child and picking him up from his "neighbor's" house...I thought this might be it. So last night our good friends, Suzanne and Chapuis from D.C., came for the weekend. As I was explaining this story to them I started it out by saying "it sounds sketchy but here me out". A fool I was. After hours of using our "webmaster" skills we found out that this was all a scam. We ended up contacting a friend who's brother finds and reports scammers for a living. Turns out this guy was trying to launder money through me. Also, through our research, we found that he posted the exact same listing on Craigs List, word for word, in over 7 other areas..California...Indiana....two other cities in North Carolina...and the list goes on. We are out to nail him.

Lessons learned:
1. Always give people the benefit of the doubt..just not always on Craig's List.
2. Sometimes things are too good to be true
3. Little Josh, an imaginary child, likes puppies and cats and chocolate but NOT VANILLA according to his dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment